STEM roll-a-dice: Board game with AR technology to learn about STEM.
“STEM Roll-a-Dice” as it is named, is a board game innovation that contains the components of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education. Develop based on the gamification principle; the goal for this invention is to maximize enjoyment and engagement through capturing the interest of learners and inspiring them to continue learning about STEM. In comparison with traditional version of board game, the game specification has been upgraded by requiring the use of smart devices in order for the game to function. Particularly, this invention is different from other ordinary board game because it integration with Augmented Reality technology. There are five categories of STEM covered in this AR board game: Education; Agriculture; Engineering, Robotic and Medical. The board stores more than 450 question related to STEM education. Teachers can use the game to explain about STEM at any time along the year whenever possible. It is also recommend for the teachers to bring this game to the class for the students to distress or to fill their free time.
The reason for the development of “STEM Roll-a-Dice” is due to the fact that the teachers currently lack of time and engaging teaching aids to teach about STEM. Therefore, this AR board game is seen able to pave the problem by providing the teachers with suitable and interesting teaching tools. The board game has been developed from scratch. The development started by listing possible solutions on how the teachers could deliver STEM education to students. The process continues with the drafting of story board and STEM questions. The process followed by hiring a designer to embed the AR technology to the board game as well as the STEM questions. Finally, the board game is then sent for printing to produce the first prototype.
List of advantages/ Main features of your STEM Materials for Teaching and Learning
1. The first AR board game on STEM Education in Malaysia.
2. Contains more than 450 questions on STEM. More questions will be added from time to time.
3. The board game has five STEM field: Education; Agriculture; Engineering; Robotic; and Medical.
4. Integration of Augmented Reality technology into the board game
5. The student can learn and play at the same time.
6. The students can play the board game individually or with friends.
7. The board game offer enjoyment and engagement through capturing the interest of learners and inspiring them to continue learning about STEM
8. The board game provide alternative for the teacher to implement the 21st century teaching technique.
9. The board game offer independently learning to the students to learn STEM at their own pace, time and convenient.
10. The board game able to include in the lesson via blended learning approach, which is the formal and non-formal that combines online digital media with traditional classroom methods.
The board game is expected to give significant impact to the teaching and learning STEM especially towards the student inquiry skills. It will maximize the students’ enjoyment and engagement to learn about STEM in contrast to the conventional chalk-and-talk classroom.
For more info please click: